I learned so much in 2023. The most important lesson I learned is prioritization. I’m a husband, father, son, and former executive leader, and at times, the many roles you play collide.
After deep reflection, I decided to leave being an executive leader in May. I prioritized my family over everything, and as a professional, I got back to the roots where my origin story emerged. I desperately needed this change.
2024 will be the year when I settle into this change. I made some moves to close out the third and fourth quarters of 2023, which resulted in some unexpected yet bountiful things to look forward to. Before leaving my executive role, I prayed for guidance on my decision and asked for certain things to help solidify my next phase in life. I am blessed because I received everything I asked for. It feels fantastic, but this is not the purpose of this post.
My purpose for this post is to highlight the importance of settling in change. Here’s what I’ve been telling myself since January 2023:
- Recognize that change may be the only constant in life.
- Embrace change, but don’t make changes without a plan.
- Settle in the change, but don’t get too comfortable.
- Resilience is one skill that can emerge as a result of change, so observe your capacity for how quickly you settle into change.
- Learn to listen more because when people feel vulnerable to share their experiences with you, there is a lesson embedded within their truths that will inform your journey.
As we approach the 2024 year, I wish you well in your journey of change and resolutions.